Norwegian mass murderer sues Norwegian state again

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in 2011, is again suing the Norwegian government in a bid to force an end to his solitary confinement, Norwegian media reported Friday. .

Breivik has been in solitary confinement in prison since his 2012 conviction and has had no contact with other inmates during his sentence, according to lawyer Øystein Storrvik.

The daily Aftenposten specifies that a notice was sent Thursday by Storrvik to the Ministry of Justice.

Earlier this year, Breivik was transferred from one prison to another, but Storrvikk said there had been no progress in terms of human contact, he told the Norwegian Press Agency. NTB.

“He has no contact with anyone other than the prison guards,” Storrvik said, adding it was a human rights violation.

In January, Breivik, 43, faced a parole hearing in the three-judge Telemark District Court, where he held white supremacist views and threw Nazi salutes on opening day. of the audience, while claiming to have renounced violence. The court ruled that Breivik should remain in prison because he still poses a potential threat and there is “a clear risk” that he will resume behavior that led to the massacre.

Breivik is serving the maximum 21-year sentence in Norway for detonating a bomb in Oslo’s government district and carrying out a shooting massacre at a summer camp for young left-wing activists. Breivik could be held for more than 21 years under a provision that allows authorities to keep criminals in prison for as long as they are deemed a threat to society.

He was declared sane at trial, although the prosecution argued he was psychotic. He did not appeal his conviction but unsuccessfully sued the government for violating human rights for denying him the right to communicate with supporters.

In 2016, Breivik successfully sued the Norwegian government for human rights abuses, complaining about his isolation from other prisoners, frequent strip searches and the fact that he was often handcuffed early in his incarceration. He also complained about the quality of prison food, having to eat with plastic utensils and not being able to communicate with supporters.

About Timothy Ball

Check Also

Film about Abe murder suspect to be shown on day of state funeral

A film featuring a protagonist based on Tetsuya Yamagami, the suspect in the murder of …