Keane defends Ronaldo
Man Utd legend Roy Keane has defended Cristiano Ronaldo after being sacked by Erik ten Hag for tonight’s clash at Chelsea.
Ronaldo, 37, refused to feature against Tottenham in Wednesday’s 2-0 win and stormed the Old Trafford tunnel with added time remaining before leaving the stadium altogether.
Keane insists Ronaldo’s attitude doesn’t worry him as he claims others ‘have done much worse things’ at United.
Keane said sky sports“Well, obviously the manager made the decision to let him out.
“He is disappointed with Ronaldo [for] not wanting to continue in the 87th [or] 88th minute and the fact that he walked in the tunnel. He is obviously punished for this.
“But I try to see also from the player’s point of view, obviously he’s had enough and I think it’s been smoldering in recent weeks with Ronaldo.
“But I will always try to defend him, I always think he’s a human being, he has flaws, he feels frustrated that he hasn’t had enough opportunities and he’s had enough.
“He walked down the tunnel, I think the players did much worse things at Man Utd. I think it happens, it’s human nature.
“Everyone was talking after the game that they beat Spurs, it was a big win – the best performance in years. Absolute rubbish, Spurs were terrible. Man Utd also managed to beat Spurs the last year at home when I think Ronaldo had a hat-trick.
“So he’s more than capable of stepping onto that pitch and making a difference. But he has to take his punishment, is there a way back for him? I’m not sure.
“I would be more worried if Ronaldo sat on the bench every week laughing his head off and not caring. I think the guy cares.
“I’ve said it before, this game is full of bluffers and he’s definitely not one of them. I think he cares about the club, I think he wants to play, he has to play. World class player , people say he’s not the player he was 10 years ago.
“But he was top scorer last year for Man Utd. He went to Man Utd last year, to a bad Man Utd team – a very bad team – [and] he was still top scorer.”